Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Bible: Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi

Here's the conclusion of the old testament...

I don't have any notes for Nahum, HabakkukZephaniah, or Malachi, sorry.  But here's a note--well, a quote rather--from Haggai to start us up.
"Consider how you have fared.  You have sown much, and harvested little; you eat, but you never have enough; you drink, but you never have your fill; you clothe yourselves, but no one is warm; and you that earn wages earn wages to put them into a bag with holes" Haggai 1:6.  The problem of being human!  Haggai--with the help of a conversation with God--decides that this must be because men have let the spiritual side of them fall into ruins.  With the food and drink, we can write the never full bit off to naturally occurring phenomena (you can never completely fill yourself, you will eventually get hungry again, unless you die in between meals), but I'm guessing that the aforementioned deeper meaning is being driven towards here.  You can't be fulfilled without the spirituality because--well, it's a necessary element of it.  So... Yeah.  (I feel like there's a CS Lewis quote about this exact thing, but I can't recall it, which is bound to drive me mad.)

I've got a few notes for Zechariah.
Zechariah has several visions, in one of which he sees Satan accusing Joshua.  I only mention this because this time the Hebrew for Satan isn't the Accuser--it is the Adversary.  Due to the change in the Hebrew, is it fair then to refer to this devil as Satan?  If he has a different name, should it be some other one, or even just a generic devil?
"Many peoples and strong nations shall come to seek the Lord of hosts in Jerusalem, and to entreat the favor of the Lord.  Thus says the Lord of hosts: In those days ten men from nations of every language shall take hold of a Jew, grasping his garment and saying, 'Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you'" Zechariah 8:22-23.  What I'm not sure and I can't figure out from the passage is if they're doing it out of fear and a clinging to life, or if these 'ten men' are sincere in their pursuit of God.  Either way, there was something about the passage that struck me.

MLA citation information: Holy Bible: New Revised Standard Edition.  American Bible Society: New York, 1989.




Sorry about the shortness of this post. Not to worry, however, the next one is going to be about a thousand years long, trust me on this.  I'm not even finished with Matthew and already I've marked enough to make me worry for the binding.  Can't say when that post will actually happen, I've got a few busy days coming up, and besides that, a few Ken Kesey-ish days thanks to the extraction of my wisdom teeth.  So... Good times?  Well, as long as I can't feel the terrible pain in my mouth...


Answer to last post's cryptic song lyrics: Interstate 8 by Modest Mouse
This post's cryptic song lyrics: There's no message in your bottle, emptiness, it's just hollow

No comments:

Post a Comment