Sunday, September 20, 2009

She's so good-looking that she looks like a man

First, there aren't any book bits today, but bear with me.

According to Borders, it's the sixtieth anniversary of Harlequin Romances. Thank you for making me intensely uncomfortable for advertising that. (Where are the old ladies?) There was a boom sale last year at one of the local elementary schools and there were these two tables chock full of romance books and the old ladies were ALL OVER THAT. Creepiest thing ever.

Anyways, we stopped at this book store and I found The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo and The Descent of Man by Charles Darwin that are at least from the 1930's, or very early forties. Of course, there are no publication dates... So I e-mailed the owner; the cashier thought he'd know.
"I bet Robert [the owner] would know! You can call him at home! I can give you the number if you want."
"Um... No, that's okay. His e-mail's on the bookmark, right? I'll just e-mail him."
As much as I love calling strangers and pressing them about 80-year-old books... So hopefully he'll e-mail me back. On another note, old books are everywhere in Rhode Island. We went into a drugstore/surf shop and they were selling books from the forties in the back near the drinks... Not anything you'd recognize, but...
Anyway, that book store was really cool. It's called The Other Tiger and it's in Westerly... which is a part of RI which looks strangely like Brittany, France.

I was too excited about those two books not to announce it and trick you into thinking I was doing something great. I'm like five pages from finishing Everything is Illuminated, so hopefully I'll finish that later tonight and I can start on The Autocracy of Mr Parham. And I cut my finger on freaking glass so I can't read any more of We. MY KEYBOARD IS PRIME CSI EVIDENCE. No, it's not that bad.

Looked at colleges, too. My mom went to such a beautiful college... It was so tiny, though. It reminded me more of my days in Camp Washington... I miss Camp Washington...
Providence has a beautiful campus. I think I'm in love with any place with trees and green grass. That's one hell of a 'reach' school, however.
Oh, and there was a Washburn hall at URI! Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment