Monday, May 30, 2011

The Book of Mormon: 1 Nephi-Mosiah

(Note: This post includes the first two books of Nephi, the books of Jacob, Enos, Jarom, Omni, the Words of Mormon and the book of Mosiah, obviously.)

So, I came into possession of this through my World Religions class.  First of all, Mormons are nice.  Like really nice.  Like if you were having a bad day you would call your Mormon friend up and they would make life all better again.  Second of all, that class was made up of--not exactly dummkopfs, but they might as well have been zombies.  I was pretty much the only one talking, seriously.  So the three Mormon representatives--teenagers, Mormons have this really cool custom of taking a year or two off for mission work--loved me, and gave me a copy of the book to take.  So that was cool.  Anyways, I dug the friendliness and professionalism and all of that.  If you put a gun to my head and told me I had to pick a religion learned about in that class and convert to it, I would definitely be a Mormon.  The only big problem I have is that using contraceptives might as well be one of the seven deadly sins.  You're supposed to "be fruitful and multiply"--that would not work for me.  Nope.

So!  Here we go.  This is going to be a long post, I'm sure, but let's start with the introduction, I guess... So the story goes that this book was found inscribed on tablets.  The tablet's words were copied down, as the time wasn't quite ripe for the tablets to be revealed to the world.  The books are a kind of revamped version of the old and new testaments.  So... Let's go!  On with 1 Nephi!
So Nephi's father was a prophet that everybody thought was mad--he also claimed Jerusalem would fall and all of that.  This is probably a good time to mention that I read this about three weeks ago.  I guess my point for marking this was the parallels with the Bible... Maybe.
Oh yeah, so they leave the city and flee to wilderness, pretty much like Moses and his people leaving Egypt.  You know, people "murmur against" him, are punished, keep on murmuring against, don't learn, except sometimes, eventually go off the beaten track... And so on.  So... Yeah.
"Behold the Lord slayeth the wicked to bring forth his righteous purposes.  It is better that one man perish than that a nation should dwindle and perish in unbelief" 1 Nephi 4:13.
Oh and they too have the commandments and the laws and Leviticus in their possession.  They go ahead and mention that.  Just an interesting note, since I don't actually have a sense of time or proportion.
God is also, again, referred to as the "God of Israel" 1 Nephi 5:9.  Again, a note I think is interesting that probably no-one else would.
Oh, a response to those people rebelling against Nephi's father: "How is it that ye have forgotten what great things the Lord hath done for us...?" 1 Nephi 7:11.  He actually goes on to list great things that God did help them achieve, but.  I just thought it was interesting wording or what have you.  Something about it struck me.
This too: "How is it that ye have forgotten that ye have seen an angel of the Lord?" 1 Nephi 7:9.
I notice that in 1 Nephi 10, God, when referred to as 'he', isn't capitalized.  That's pretty intriguing...
Then 'he' is referring to a regular man: "For he that diligently seeketh shall find" (which can continue to) "and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them" 1 Nephi 10:19.
Nephi's father sees a mysterious tree in 1 Nephi 11, and an angel asks Nephi if he understands what the tree was.  My note was just "the cross?" because the cross Jesus was put on is sometimes referred to as a tree.
Also, in most traditional versions of the crucifixion story, Judas hangs himself after he realizes what he has done.  In Nephi's vision, he sees Jesus getting crucified, and then the "multitudes of the earth" rallying against the twelve apostles.  So... Did Judas not kill himself?  Did he repent? Are you... Are you allowed to repent after doing that sort of thing?  I mean, I know it was necessary for Jesus to be resurrected and all, but still...
There's the repetition of the line so often occurring in the Bible: "The last shall be first, and the first shall be last" 1 Nephi 13:42.
Nephi also sees a vision that is like John's vision written in revelations of the false, poison church: "And that great pit, which hath been digged for them by that great and abominable church, which was founded by the devil and his children, that he might lead away the souls of men down to hell--yea, that great pit which hath been digged for the destruction of men shall be filled by those who digged it" 1 Nephi 14:3.  Again.  Good wording.  Good way of bluntly getting the point across.
Also, they flash forward to a time when the name of God will become a "hiss and a byword, and be hated among all nations" 1 Nephi 19:14.  Of course, I thought of Ulysses, when Stephen Daedalus says that God is like a shout in the street.
The first book of Nephi is ended with the promise that it is not just Nephi and his father proclaiming the God of Israel--others have been taught and have seen God in the same manner.

My first note on 2 Nephi is more for a particular word than anything else. You know, the phrase is God will smite thee, but it use the word 'smitten'.  Now it makes sense--obviously there's the same root and same meaning--smite means being struck with the hand or hit with a hard blow.  Smitten means the same thing, but it can also mean that someone is very much in love.  I just thought it was interesting, especially in how appropriate it is (and a little odd that smite doesn't have that same definition).
Remember how in the Old Testament hell--or an equivalent to hell--is Sheol?  If not, Sheol is all dark and nasty, unpleasant and so on.  The darkness is like a blanket, and you may be able to hear other people crying out but you can't reach them or answer them (although that last bit doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but...) Anyways, this book characterizes hell as just being sleep--"the sleep of hell" 2 Nephi 1:13.  That's interesting, the idea that you're not being tortured but you're just... not... there.  I guess that would make it more of a purgatory than a hell then, though... Anyways, here's the full thing: "O that ye would awake; awake from a deep sleep, yea, even from the sleep of hell, and shake off the awful chains by which ye are bound, which are the chains which bind the children of men; that they are carried away captive down to the gulf of misery and woe.  Awake!  And arise from the dust, and hear the words of a trembling parent, whose limbs ye must soon lay down in the cold and silent grave, from whence no traveler can return; a few more days and I go the way of all earth.  But behold, the Lord hath redeemed my soul from hell; I have behold his glory, and I am encircled about eternally in the arms of his love" 2 Nephi 1:13-15.  Okay... So reason number one why I marked it: Matisyahu's debut album is "Shake off the Dust... Arise".   Reason two is that it says that you can't return from the grave.  But you have a second life, so wouldn't that count...?  Unless if it means you can't return to the earth.  Yeeeeeep.
Again, later: "Shake thyself from the dust; arise, sit down, O Jerusalem; loose thyselves from the bands of thy neck, O captive daughter of Zion" 2 Nephi 8:25.
"Prepare your souls for that glorious day when justice shall be administered unto the righteous, even the day of judgment, that ye may not shrink with awful fear" 2 Nephi 9:46.  /"'There are just some kind of men who--who're so busy worrying about the next world they've never learned to live in this one'"--Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird.
"Seek the Lord, not peeping wizards" 2 Nephi 18.  The phrase "peeping wizards" is the funniest thing ever.  Let's move on!
Chapter eighteen also mentions the priest Uriah. If I'm not mistaken, that is also the name of one of the archangels.
"Hell from beneath thy feet is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming; it stirreth up the dead for thee" 2 Nephi 24:9.  I believe this is a reference to the final days when the dead will rise and walk the earth and so on.


So onto the next book, Jacob... My first note has to do with Jacob warning the people of Nephi against "fornication and lasciviousness" Jacob 3:12.  That seems strange to me because of the be fruitful and multiply bit.  I mean--you're supposed to procreate like crazy.  Like I said, birth control in any form is looked down upon.  And obviously to get babies you've got to have sex.  (I almost said 'make'.  Make sex?)  Maybe it just means bestiality and pedophilia and stuff?  (And since this would be Old Testament time, this would probably include homosexuality too.)  That's my best guess, anyway.
"And now I, Jacob, am led on by the Spirit unto prophesying; for I perceive by the workings of the Spirit which is in me, that by the stumbling of the Jews they will reject the stone upon which they might build and have safe foundation" Jacob 4:15.  I'm going to go ahead and say this refers to the crucifixion of Jesus.  If that's the case, then that oft-repeated New Testament quote about the stone that was rejected being the cornerstone of faith makes a lot more sense now.
Hmm, those appear to be the only notes I've got on Jacob, and I didn't mark anything for Enos, Jarom, Omni, or The Words of Mormon.  Sooo... On to the Book of Mosiah!  


"Perhaps thou shalt say: The man has brought upon himself his misery; therefore I will stay my hand, and will not give unto him my food, nor impart unto him of my substance that he may not suffer, for his punishments are just--But I say unto you, O man, whosoever doeth this the same hath cause to repent; and except he repenteth of that which he hath done he perisheth forever, and hath no interest in the kingdom of God.  For behold, are we not all beggars?" Mosiah 4:17-19.  This is pretty much the exact opposite of Grecian/Roman/probably other ancient civilizations that I don't know about beliefs too--if you had a beggar or a leper or someone suffering in general, the gods were punishing them, and if you helped them, you ran the risk of pissing the gods off and making them torture you too.  Yeeep.  I also just really like that last line too.  
"And I would that ye should remember, that whosoever among you borroweth of his neighbor should return the thing that he doth borroweth, according as he doth agree, or else thou shalt commit sin; and perhaps thou shalt cause thy neighbor to commit sin also" Mosiah 4:28.  I LOVE this!  One, it may supposed to be serious--in fact there is no may about it--but it seems like there's a bit of humour happening at the end there, along with the truism.  Two, it is true.  Three, I like the fact that it's being said that sometimes sinning isn't all one fellow's part--that there can be (and often is) a reason... 
Oh, here's one thing that really, really bothered me: "And again: Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them; for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquities of the fathers upon the children, unto the third and fourth generations of them that hate me" Mosiah 13:13.  It's not that God 'says' that he's a jealous God.  He does it often enough in the Old Testament.  What bothers me is that in the old Testament, there is the line which follows: "Parents shall not be put to death for their children, nor shall children be put to death for their parents; only for their own crimes may persons be put to death" Deuteronomy 24:16.  I know that says put to death, but I took it to mean that they may not be punished for each other's sins either--I mean, by saying that he'll take it out on the latter generations... Well, he's not really saying death, but still... It could be potentially  worse than death.  I just don't like this bit with what I convinced myself was said, I guess.  And saying it will come on to latter generations that the sinner probably won't even know isn't going to make them stop.  They'll just be like, oh... I won't get in trouble for it then?  Sweet!  Guess I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing.  Awesome.  I mean, if they do live to see the suffering, they'll feel guilty then (probably), and regret it, but that would be what's known as locking the barn door after the horse has been stolen.
"Unrighteous kings lead their people into sin" Mosiah 29.




So those are all of my notes!  I had some more, but again, it's been a while since I picked this up so I didn't remember why pages were noted, or how my scrawled-in notes related to what I thought they related to.  So, I'm going to get started on the second half (Alma-Moroni, about 320 pages) but there's going to be some in-between, especially since I've also just finished Fight Club, and I've decided to take a lot of my other books down off the 'classics' self for review.  Most of them are pretty short--actually the ones that are coming down for review are the two Hermann Hesse books.  But yeah.  They're both pretty short.       


MLA Citation Information: The Book of Mormon.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints: United States of America, 2010.




Ohhh, plus I'm going to be in Cape Cod for a few days in a week.  I know, I know, I won't update for a whole week, eeee.


Answer to last post's cryptic song lyrics: Congratulations by MGMT
This post's cryptic song lyrics: You're the son of his majesty, remember how it used to be, in the light of the day it's easy to see--Now it's nighttime, you had to leave 

No comments:

Post a Comment