Saturday, July 25, 2009

Come gather round people, wherever you roam...

OH MY GOODNESS I FINISHED WAR AND PEACE. Well... I finished the actual War and Peace part--I still have two epilogues to fight through. I'm about eleven chapters (the last 150 pages are the two epilogues! What the--what the hell, man!?) into it. The first two or three chapters are more Tolstoy's own observations and impressions than actually being about Pierre or some such, like that little bit about the boy and the scientist and the apple. Only much longer. But, actually, I am quite fond of Tolstoy's mindset and instead of being like OH GOD I HATE EPILOGUES like I usually do (the end's the end, folks) I am quite enjoying it. I was pleased with the 'end' as well. Despite how little I thought I'd like Pierre in the beginning, I've grown quite fond of the little fellow (but he's no Mr Darcy!).
And, near the end, there was a little passage which could be taken as a spoiler, so if you're planning on reading this, I guess skip this quote and my explanation.
"Pierre's insanity consisted in not waiting, as he used to do, to discover personal attributes which he termed 'good qualities' in people before loving them; his heart was now overflowing with love, and by loving people without cause he discovered indubitable causes for loving them."
Anyone guessed why I was drawn to that? Hint: I'm a Kurt Vonnegut fan, remember? God Bless You, Mr Rosewater. See, the basis of that book is that Elliot (Mr Rosewater) is thought to be quite mad because he loves all people--even the people persecuting him--and loves nothing more than to do whatever he can to help them. He says that when someone says "God bless you, Mr Rosewater" to him is the greatest payment and makes him the happiest. So an attribute like that--one that gods and holy men are revered for possessing--apparently cannot translate into this world--not even 200 some odd years ago. (Then again, was it ever? Jesus was crucified. Maybe Elliot was intended to be a sort of modern version of that? A little?)

Okay, spoiler has ended!
Anyways, I marked a page with a quote--a double entendre, kind of. I thought it was hilarious when I read it, and at the risk of looking like I'm twelve I include it: "The French, collecting booty, cared only for gold." HAHAHA. I mean, I'm sure Tolstoy didn't mean it like that, but...
*Ahem* So I'm thinking of taking out Anna Karenina next and disregarding all those books that have just been piling up...
Definitely I like him more than Dostoevsky.
As for what's next? Well, the library is closed on Sundays (I think) so I guess I'll read another book from Meg, or take a break with something shorter... Uh. I'll do Of Mice and Men next.

2 comments:

  1. Um, I was told "To Kill A Mockingbird" was next but apparently you're lying to me now! I'd hint and cough under my breath that "Little Dorrit" should be next if, A) it wasn't 800 pages and B) the fact that you're even considering reading it wasn't such a victory. Still, I don't appreciate being lied to ='(

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wrote that before today! i figured i should try to finish all of the books I borrowed from Meg first. Also, I'm redoing my room, so I have no clue where Of Mice and Men is.

    ReplyDelete