Sunday, July 19, 2009

What an amazing discovery!

You may have noticed that the title is not song lyrics! (At least, not that I'm aware...) For a very important announcement no-one else would care about so I have no-one else to inform!
June 13th I believe it was... the local library was collecting used books to sell and raise money for whatever. I mean, June 13th was the actual day of the sale, though. And there, there were a few books with bindings from about the late twenties-late 40's. (Yes, I can tell the differences. They really aren't that hard to recognize.) And because I am in love with old books (mostly for their bindings, because I'm a superficial whore) I was looking them over carefully, hoping I'd find something I'd like, or was on Marky Mark's list or some such so I could buy one of these gorgeous old gems. Luckily, there was an HG Wells novel--The Autocracy of Mr. Parham. Now, I hadn't read the book, and I still have yet to (about a hundred fifty pages under being halfway through War and Peace) but I like HG Wells, so how could bad could it be? (That's what I said about The Shape of Things to Come, too...) Either way, I got a really sweet book.

No, wait! That's not the end of it! Come back! I'm not just some big loser dork who talks about book bindings! (Well... that's debatable...) So I happened to be on Wikipedia and I was like hey... I'll look up the date for that HG Wells book I bought. Originally published in 1930. Now, I'm thinking this is too good to be true. Why? My copy was printed in 1930. I have a first edition HG Wells book--and I bought it for two dollars at a tag sale! OH HELL YEAH THAT'S SWEET.

I'm gonna end up like those old people on those 'Antique Roadshow' shows. Shit.

2 comments:

  1. A) You are a superficial whore.

    B) As a fellow dork, I love how excited you got about book bindings. I kind of like the smell of used books, if that's not too weird. There's also something romantic (not in a ro-com sense) about the fact that the book is passing on to you after playing a role (even if it was a small one) in someone else's life. Though, I don't like notes in the margins, which seems contradictory butt I don't like them EVER. I don't make them and I don't enjoy them, mostly because it's like crap for people's papers, not just their honest reactions. See? You're not the only weirdo around here.

    C) I'm always bothered by how on-the-edge-of-your-seat "Antiques Roadshow" is! I mean, it's a show about ANTIQUES, for the love of goodness! And yet, every case is a nail-biter. That's why I watch it sparingly. My poor heart can't take the suspense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. B. yes!!! paperbacks from the seventies are the best. i love the way my copy of journey to the east smells! *ahem*
    and yes, me too! i have a journal i write in (not on a regular basis, but...) from 1924 with the first few pages ripped out. i'm always curious as to what had been written, what could have been written, where had it been stored, why it had been kept, the events from then to now it had 'seen'--*ahem*. i don't mind people underlining things, but i agree about the notes in the margins. though a certain english teacher can't remember things he thinks are funny without them, it seems...

    C. I watched it once... an old lady was talking about thimbles. and then vacuum cleaners. antique vacuum cleaners. and you should probably get that checked out... you're too young to have heart problems!

    ReplyDelete