Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Tell me, where is Gandalf? For I much desire to speak with him.

Well! As I'm comfortably (kind of) ahead and I need to study for a quiz on this book, I feel like I should write this up. Oh, and because it made my feelings toward JRR Tolkien do a complete 180. Marky Mark has made me a Lord of the Rings dork. He has made me even dorkier. I am so full of dork right now. So full.

Obviously we read The Fellowship of the Rings. I am going to assume that if you haven't read it you've at least seen the movie and not bother with preliminaries. If you haven't read it, DO IT NOW. If you haven't seen the movie, DO IT NOW. Come on, even when I had a blood grudge against Tolkien I at least liked the movies. Now I love at least the one book more, though I have difficulty loving Bilbo as much. Anyway.


My first note regards the mentioning of Bree--hardcore Narnia fans will get it, maybe. If not, in the third book the 'horse' of the title is named Bree-hee-hinny-hoo-ha. I have several marks like this, for example, there is a mentioning of a place in Middle Earth called Etten Moor (or something similar to that). In Narnia, there is a land known as Ettinsmoor. Also, in the sixth and seventh Narnia books there are the dragons that live deep underground to be awoken when the final moments of Narnia are nigh, to strip the land and destroy it and eventually die themselves. Marky Mark gave us a brief history of the Balrog--a beast sleeping under the earth till the dwarves accidentally woke it up and it wreaked havoc till Gandalf killed it. Oh hey similarities. Of course, they were close friends and commiserated often. And apparently the fact that CS Lewis took such a short time in writing and publishing his books made it look like Tolkien got his ideas from Lewis when his books were finally finished annoyed the heck out of Tolkien.
I didn't like Peter Jackson's interpretation of Bilbo flipping out over the Ring. It seemed... I don't know, too much. Or not enough. What bothered me more was the second time Bilbo sees the Ring, when Frodo has it. In the movie, he flips out and morphs for a second into a '28 Weeks Later' zombie and gets all creepy-like, in the book it's much more... subtle, I guess. "To his distress and amazement he found that he was no longer looking at Bilbo; a shadow seemed to have fallen between them, and through it he found himself eyeing a little wrinkled creature with a hungry face and bony groping hands" (260). I imagined more of a pathetic little creature, like Gollum. Which I guess isn't necessarily subtle... just not as intense as Jackson made it. I mean, it made it hard to feel bad for Bilbo. It was just kind of, I don't know, shocking.



"'I pity snails, and all that carry their homes on their backs'" (78). Aw, Frodo's so cute. Can we hang out?

Marky Mark said that Tolkien wanted to create sort of sayings, if you know what I mean. I'm not really sure how to describe what I mean, other than giving examples: "Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger" (94) and "Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes" (94). He also wanted to offer explanations for many unknown things, like the rock formations and megaliths common in Europe--the most common being Stone Henge. And the nursery rhyme about the cow jumping over the moon, that finds its 'root' in a nonsense song made up by either Bilbo or Frodo.

"'But where shall I find courage?' asked Frodo. 'That is what I chiefly need.' 'Courage is found in unlikely places'" (95).

Oh, here's a note that no one but I will care for. At one point, Tolkien says Frodo hears a babel of voices, or something along those lines. And I was all, hey, JRR, ever heard of the word babble? Because that's what people use. But then, I was all HEY! The tower of Babel! The Biblical story? It all sounded like Babel because all of a sudden everyone was speaking a different language! Then I was like, hey, that's probably where the word 'babble' came from! Sooooo.... yup. Just call me a professor of, um, philology (sp?).

"'Not all those who wander are lost'" (195).

"'You were very fond of Bilbo, were you not?' he asked. 'Yes,' answered Frodo. 'I would rather see him than all the towers and the palaces in the world'" (257). Love!

"'Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens'" (315). Easily my favorite quote of the book. Gimli, high five? Yes?

"'I had a funny dream an hour or two before we stopped, Mr Frodo,' he said. 'Or maybe it wasn't a dream. Funny it was anyway.' 'Well, what was it?... I haven't seen or thought of anything to make me smile since we left Lothlorien'" (430). There is something I love about this little exchange, even though it is nothing of huge bearing, or importance. I just like it....

So yep. I'll be reading the rest of the series once I have less on my plate, though first I'll be going back to reread The Hobbit, a book I previously despised, but am now willing to give a second chance. Now, back to my novel! Fare thee well!








So, where exactly is Gandalf? Well, I happened to catch him at his new job the other day... Something about it just seems to suit him.

10 comments:

  1. Really, Ang, you didn't like The Lord of the Rings? What was the matter with you?! Those books are awesome! Glad to know you've had a change of heart!

    Did I ever tell you that story I heard about CS Lewis and Tolkein from that TV show? It's hilarious, I promise, if you want to hear it...

    Ahahaha, oh, Gandalf!

    I've missed your nonstop blogging! I have nothing else to procrastinate with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hated The Hobbit so much I swore I'd never read his other books.

    Whaaaat? You did not. Please inform me.

    Awww! Sorry. But you can still see my nonstop tweeting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh, I never read the Hobbit, so I can't really empathize. Glad you gave Tolkein another chance. Perhaps you should try that more often...say with...Charles Dickens?!

    I was watching this TV show on Masterpiece: Mystery! about this murder case (a fictional one, of course) and at the center of it was this professor who loved CS Lewis and taught about him and stuff. So a lot of the case had to deal with Narnia and all his friends and the group they had called the Inklings, which included Tolkein. And one of the detectives is really not into the whole fantasy fiction genre so he's all grumbly through the whole case and his partner (who likes all of that stuff) tells him when they capture the killer:

    "Do you know what CS Lewis said when Tolkein started reading the first draft of Lord of The Rings? He said 'Not more FLIPPIN' Elves!' But he didn't say flippin'!"

    It was really funny in the actual episode.

    WHERE?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nevermind, I found you. I just searched for Marky Mark :P And, OH MY GOODNESS! Your tweets are like 140 character doses of excellence

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gahhh. One day. Maybe if there were more hobbits involved in his works...

    Hahahaha. I want to see it! Jenna was telling me today about this episode of the Big Bang Theory that's all Lord of the Rings theme and they find the prop of the One Ring...

    Hahaha. Do you like how basically the entire front page is LotR jokes? You see what he's done to me!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, one person in the book of his that I'm reading now (that would be Bleak House) apparently dies of self-combustion. Tantalizing, no?

    I'll try and find it online somewhere for you! Another funny part is the detective who doesn't like all the fantasy fiction stuff is named Lewis, so his partner goes, "Did you know that Lewis [pause] CS, that is..." It was silly :)

    YES! I told my roommate the one about Sam being in the closet and she nearly choked she was laughing so hard! Marky Mark is a dangerous man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh hey! I feel like I knew that he's written about that. Or maybe Mark Twain? Apparently in Huckleberry Finn or something he wrote about spontaneous combustion.

    Hahahahaha. That Sam comment was all me. I have decided it is the funniest thing I have ever said.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uh, I don't remember that from Huck Finn but if you say so!

    It really was hysterical. I think I'm addicted to your twitter account now...SO MUCH NERDY GOODNESS IN ONE PLACE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know; I read it somewhere else. I repressed all memories of the actual book...

    I'm surprised it hasn't turned you away in horror!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pfft, no! If anything, I'm glued to it in awe! Of your sheer nerdy delighfullness!

    ReplyDelete