Monday, June 14, 2010

The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon

Michael Chabon, author of my beloved Kavalier and Clay, the book which was totally on sale at a huge book fair this weekend and was taken right from beneath my nose so I STILL DON'T OWN A COPY OF IT GURGGHHH. Anyway, I happened to see this book at the local library and I was all, oh hey, loved your other book, hook me up.


Well, it's set in Sitka (Shiksa?), Alaska which was apparently colonized by Jews as a safe haven after/during the Holocaust and after Israel's collapse... but Alaska wants to reclaim it... and also it's a whodunit, because this guy was murdered, this supposed prodigy of the generation (I can't remember the Yiddish phrase, sorry) but got overcome by the pressure and also did heroin. And the main character is of course Landsman, the inspector on the case and his ex-wife is his overseer and there's so much tension between them you could cut it the way you would cut a watermelon with a katana:
(This what we do on Friday nights.) Anyway, let's get right down to it, shall we?


"'You know the expression 'a broken man'?... Most people it gets applied to don't really deserve it... Most men, in my opinion, they have nothing there to break in the first place. But this Lasker. He was like one of those sticks you snap, it lights up. You know? For a few hours. And you can hear broken glass rattling inside of it'" (3). Lasker was the murdered man. This... Well, I've been wracking my brain to think of how this would describe someone, and in Lasker's case it works--he was this child prodigy. Supposedly, of every generation, a possible Messiah is born. This was the kid. He had performed miracles (supposedly), he had an IQ of about 200, he was really good at chess (which is apparently pivotal for the book's existence, but I could have cared less)--that would be when he glowed. But the pressure got to him and he kind of disappeared, became estranged, got addicted to heroin, and later got shot. So okay, at the end of the book, what was said makes sense. But at the beginning I didn't understand it.

"'Who died?' 'A yid in a predicament,' Berko tells him. 'Dog bites man'" (67). That is, it's run of the mill, the usual. Men are always biting dogs, yids are always getting killed? Oh. Was it even necessary for me to clarify? I felt it was, but that's probably just because of my journalism class with Heidi Awesome-Miller. We learned about Dog Bites Man/Man Bites Dog. (That is, report on the unusual, which would obviously be the second option.)

Oh, what I did learn from this book? Apparently the Greeks had a goddess of chess. Caissa. Oh, but actually she was invented during the Renaissance? What? You can't just make up goddesses and say they're Greek. That's cheating. And look at this picture! Zero percent of it makes sense. Zero. Mostly nude, gonna take a bath... oh, what's that strange thing, just chilling in the wilderness? I think I'll teach myself how to play it! Oh, okay. Sounds good.

"'You don't want to redeem the world?'... 'I guess I got over it,' she says, but Landsman doesn't buy that. Bina never stopped wanting to redeem the world. She just let the world she was trying to redeem get smaller and smaller until, at one point, it could be bounded in the hat of a hopeless policeman" (169).

"'My Saturday night is like a microwave burrito. Very tough to ruin something that starts out so bad to begin with" (189). Hehe.

One of the worst things in this book is Chabon's overuse of metaphors and similes. Some of them are very colorful and interesting, but after 400 some-odd pages, it really wears thin. Near the very end he compares crouching people to dwarves hammering away or something. Like, what? No, Chabon, just no. Stop stop stop.
_
I honestly don't have much to say about this book. I enjoyed very little of it other than what I quoted (and let's face it, even the worst books are quotable, unless if Sarah Dessen or Stephanie Meyer wrote it) and the cover, which is very intricate and cool. The coolest part is the bottom left corner (so far as I know, only one cover exists for this book, whether the edition is hardcover or softcover) which has a gun with parenthesis encompassing the bullets atop where the bullets would go in, then parenthesis around the whole gun (these kind of parenthesis {, they're intended to be like, which are my favorite kinds of parenthesis) and a talking bubble coming from the gun's uh, muzzle? (the part the bullets come out of) with a skull on it. Then, that entire box is in another parenthesis, as all together, they are COD. But. The book itself. It was uninteresting, opaque, and tiresome. Disappointingly different from The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay. Supposedly--according to my source of Robby D--Michael Chabon just churns this stuff out, that he's the Stephen King of his niche, so it's no real surprise that this one sucks, because well, he's just churning it out. Stephen King writes crappy books all the time. And I mean, maybe it's because I don't like chess or something. Chess sucks. I actually don't even know how to play. It's definitely a MENSA-person game, though. And seeing as I'm clearly not in MENSA...
_
Uh, yeah, that's it, I guess.
Answer to last post's cryptic song lyrics for Emma: Oscar Wilde by Company of Thieves
This post's cryptic song lyrics for Emma: Even if the cancer grows till we explode, I'm yours
_
Also, current events: Can't find my copy of Holes by Louis Sachar. Seriously enraged. That book's only the mayor of Awesometown, no biggie.

16 comments:

  1. HOW DO YOU PRONOUNCE MICHAEL CHABON'S LAST NAME?!?!?! UGHHHHGHGHGHGHGH!

    See, to me, that makes about as much sense as any Greek mythology.

    Hey, I liked this one book I read this one time by Sarah Dessen! She's not amazing but I don't think it's fair to group her with that Twilight lady. No one deserves that!

    Yeah, you said that my mash-up was quotable and we all know how sucktacular that piece of "writing" was.

    It's true. MENSA is like the lair where they hide the Sorcerer's Stone: to get in, you have to win at chess. While solving a quadratic formula. While underwater. And on fire at the same time. Yeah, that's right. You have to defy the laws of physics to get into MENSA.

    Totally guessed why the cryptic song lyric would make me facepalm! Aaand, I don't recognize this one.

    I have a copy, if you'd like to borrow it/have it forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robby D pronounces it 'Shay-ben'.

    People don't just play naked chess in the middle of the woods! That's weird, even for the Greeks. I feel like the Romans might have invented strip chess, though. They would.

    See, I liked her books too, till I realized they were the same thing over and over and over. And, I think we can put Bruce Coville and RL Stine in that category. Maybe they don't deserve it, but actually, they do.

    Actually, I really enjoyed it, so maybe you should stop saying it sucked. It was good times!

    Damn. I had a lot of respect for Marky Mark before, but that just ups it by like ten million points.

    Oh my goodness! But then you wouldn't be able to enjoy the awesomeness that is Holes by Louis Sachar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, that's what I thought.

    True that.

    Well, see, I wouldn't know because I only read that one but I feel like all those "deep" writers of teen fiction write the same story over and over again. Somebody always gets raped then abandoned by their best friend only to find true love/friendship somewhere else. And everybody's already sad and mopey because somebody died or has a disease or something. Yup, that about covers it. I mean, come on. That's the plot to ANY R.L. Stine book EVER :P

    I just assumed it sucked because I didn't get my own blog post about it like Marky Mark did for his manuscript :P I can't help it if I happen to have very real expectations of how I measure up to Marky Mark's awesome MENSA-ness.

    One of these days I'm going to have to explain the origins of the "underwater and on fire" challenge. Because it actually has some. I didn't just come up with it...

    And damn straight you should show Marky Mark some respect!

    Yeah, but I'm not really seeing myself re-reading that book anytime soon. What I'm saying is that it's a sacrifice and a risk I'm willing to take. Seriously, you can have it. Just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Which did you read?

    Well, yeah. My Haireiest Adventure was a metaphor for all of those things!

    Well, that could also be attributed to his ability to manipulate things with his mind. "ANGELA... GIVE ME FREE PLUGS... YES, YES..." All a part of his nefarious plan.

    Well, clearly you didn't. It's the MENSA initiation test!

    Oh my goodness. I would love you forever, even more than I do already, which may not even be possible. I'll get all explodey because I won't be able to comprehend the upped level and stuff... in appreciation, I will now send you my crappy nanowrimo story. The less-crappy one of the two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read "Just Listen"...because music is awesome.

    R.L. Stine had some fascinating insights into the female psyche :P

    True. Marky Mark is nothing if not nefarious and self-promoting.

    No, obviously. But MENSA got the idea from an inside joke from my Improv group up at college. Like I said, it's kind of a story.

    Haha, sure. I'll bring it to your graduation party. But that's not your gift, though you may have to get your actual one later than your party. I know, booo, we'll actually have to hang out AGAIN this summer :P

    Wait, so the one I got last night by e-mail was your second semester one, right? The one you're more proud of? Or did you send me both?

    Hey, I love you forever...times infinity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh, I think that was the last of her's that I read. The guy had a radio show or something, right?

    Oh gosh! Hanging out! By the way, I know this is late, but I can't hang out tomorrow--getting ready for the party and all. Sorry...

    The second semester one, yes, the one I'd rather is viewed. The first one... we don't talk much about the first one. Not in this house...

    Hey, I love forever times infinity... squared!

    ReplyDelete
  8. *I love *you* forever times infinity squared!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, that's the one. I mean, it was good but there was a lot of dysfunction per capita in that family!

    Haha, I kind of figured that out by you NOT EVER GETTING BACK TO ME about it :P But, wait! Your grad party isn't this weekend, like tomorrow, is it?!?! It's NEXT Saturday, right?!?!?!?!

    I love you forever times infinity squared...to the billionth power!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't really remember much about the characters other than the boyfriend and that the girl hated all of his muisic until she didn't.

    Yes it is! I would give you an HTML heart, but blogger has a conniption whenever I attempt to do so.

    I love you (forever times infinity squared to the billionth power)X one trillion squared.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He taught her to like lots of different music but then got like super violently angry when she decided she didn't like techno. Aaah, love!

    Haha, okay, I thought I'd gotten my dates VERY confused. I'm going to pretend I understand why you're intensely preparing for a party that's still a week away. But I will see you there...or earlier? Yes please?

    I love you [(forever times infinity squared)to the billionth power]^infinity power!

    What what.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, I don't remember that part...

    It's because my mother is CRAZY. In a good way, but she goes crazy pre-parties. As for earlier, possibly, but I might have work and something else that's not work. You can come earlier that day if you want to help set up.... (God speed.)

    I love you what you just said times itself. BAM.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Then they go to a car wash...does that ring a bell?

    "Something else that's not work"? Like, um, gee, graduating? Or are you trying to be sly? And I'd be glad to come early and help, if you need me. Also, I'm submitting a formal request that you don't ignore/abandon me during the party, as I discovered, upon looking at your guest list, that I know about 3 people there well enough to get through a party.

    Damn. You just ruptured the space time continuum there. Again, damn.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Does someone throw up in the car? Because I remember something about a car wash/gas station but I think it might be from one of her other books... Does he murder her via car wash?

    Well, I'm taking a road trip to New York and I might be hanging out with a certain guy. Also, rest assured I will not, and I will add that you will know more than three people--you'll at least know four because a certain MENSA member will be gracing us with his presence.

    I am just that talented.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha, nooo. They go through the car wash because the girl says even the worst music can sound good in a car wash...then they make out. No vomit or murder. Unfortunately.

    AGH, jealous! I want to go on a road trip somewhere glamorous! And I forgot he was going to be there! Man, there goes my plan to dress real slutty :( Besides, I'm sure he will be very busy, being admired by your mother :P

    True dat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Man, because murdering via car wash would be kind of cool. How come books have been written about that? Step up your game, Dessen.

    Hahahaha, no, my mother will be very busy admiring him. He may not even notice. How, I don't know...

    ReplyDelete