Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Holes by Louis Sachar

I know what you're thinking, "Angela, I read this book in fourth grade. Are you real right now?" Why yes, yes I am. This book is awesome. This is the Everything is Illuminated of my childhood. It is utterly perfect. I was debating on rereading it and putting it up here, actually, but at my friend's graduation party we were eating sunflower seeds, I made an offhand Mr Sir joke ("This seaside cottage ain't no girl scout camp") and everyone cracked up... and before that at my college orientation in the bookstore I happened to notice Holes in the shelf and I was all excited. So here we go.



This book is about Stanley Yelnats, a boy who has been accused of stealing shoes--really expensive important shoes--and is sent to a 'correctional facility' (essentially a work camp) known as Camp Green Lake. Once upon a time there was an actual lake, but now it has all dried up and the boys in the camp go out onto the lake every day and dig a five by five hole. The book is also about Sam and Kate Barlow, who later becomes the notorious outlaw Kissin' Kate Barlow and also about Stanley's no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing great-great grandfather. Is this seriously necessary? Come on, everyone has read this book--I hope. Maybe you've only seen the movie... OH WAIT THEN YOU'D STILL NEED THIS SUMMARY LOL. Okay, maybe that's unfair, I haven't seen in a while. Maybe it really was good. Yeah, the way the film adaption of Maniac Magee was good. BAHAHAHAHA I tried to rewatch that, I think I lasted like 45 seconds. The second the dad was like "I'll teach you the stopball" I was done. Anyway.



I guess there's really not a whole to point out other than the book's perfectness. Everything travels in a full circle; there are no superfluous details. Even minute details like the fact that Trout Walker has a foot fungi that smells like fish (Trout is just a nickname) comes into play, one character's red hair and one character's turquoise-studded boots*... And of course big important details exist as well.

Oh, and might I mention I wrote about this book in my college essay?--to further attest to its awesomeness, of course. Stanley's great-grandfather was left stranded in the desert after being robbed by Kissin' Kate Barlow. He survived for seventeen days and when asked how he survived he said he "'found refuge on God's thumb'" (93). This thumb in question happens to be overlooking the Camp and a portion of the book is spent running away from the camp and to God's thumb. I don't know, that bit always had a certain poignancy for me.

The most upsetting part of the book is certainly that regarding Sam and Kate Barlow. Sam was an onion seller--an African American onion seller. Kate was a school teacher. The school was falling apart and Sam offered to fix it up and fixed it up well. When the school is finally complete Kate breaks down crying and Sam asks what's wrong--she says her heart is breaking, and they kiss. But, because this is the eighteen-hundreds--probably even before the Civil War--when they are spotted Sam is to be hung and the schoolhouse is burnt. The lady who sees them whispers under her breath "'God will punish you!'" (111). Sam is killed, his donkey is killed, Kate leaves and becomes Kissin' Kate Barlow. Louis Sachar concludes the story of Sam's death with this: "That all happened one hundred and ten years ago. Since then, not one drop of rain has fallen on Green Lake. You make the decision: Whom did God punish?" (115).

*Kissin' Kate Barlow had turquoise-studded black boots. The Warden of the camp also wears the same boots. The Warden has red hair--like Trout's wife.

Sam owned a donkey named Mary Lou and his boat was named Mary Lou. Zero and Stanley hide in the boat for a day or two after escaping camp. They of course do not know she was a donkey and imagine how good looking a woman she was--"'I bet she looked great in a bathing suit, sitting on a boat while her boyfriend rowed'" (161). Hehe.

Spoiler alerts come on now: Camp Green Lake is exposed as a work camp and fraught with abuse. The land is sold and it's set to ironically enough become a girl scouts' camp. One thing that bothered me about the movie is that Zero hires a team of investigators to find his mother--I remember thinking that that didn't happen, it's just implied at the very end with the woman who ruffles his hair. Well guess what, it did happen. Actually, thinking on it, it's kind of ridiculous to assume that this woman could just show up unquestioned at their house and instantly recognize her son whom she hasn't seen in five years and him not being disturbed at her sudden physical affection--okay, actually it's kind of ridiculous to assume that she's even still alive. Maybe? But I like the less... uh... 'loud' ending the book had. The movie was like OH MY GOD LOOK IT'S HIS MOM!!!! DRAMATICS!

Oh, and apparently a sequel was made to this book? I bet it's about Squid (one of the boys at camp; they all have nicknames) because when Stanley and Zero leave he asks Squid to call his mother and tell her that he's sorry... Well, it's touching. Will I read the sequel...? Well, we'll see.



Well, I guess there wasn't much for me to say. But rest assured, this is a fantastic book. Seriously, I remember Ms Falcigno reading it to us--I try to imagine how the Warden sounded, and it's her voice. I try to imagine what Hattie Parker sounded like, how she said "God will punish you"--it's the same tone my teacher took on. I can hear her reading the other parts too. Either it's because the book was so amazing from that very first time hearing it or it's signs of developing schizophrenia. No, but seriously, this book is amazing and I can still recall that feeling of shock--good shock--down in my soul, to my spine. After we finished it in school I remember begging and pleading for my dad to get it for me, and I actually remember dragging my dad to the bookshelf it was on at Barnes & Noble. This is seriously a good book.



(This post is not 7,163 words.)



Answer to last post's cryptic song lyrics for Emma: Ulysses by Franz Ferdinand (Told you! Utter facepalm.)
This post's cryptic song lyrics for Emma: Hold on to what you need, we've got a knack for messed up history

7 comments:

  1. This post is just another example of what a purist you are! The movie based on "Holes" was not bad at all. Of course it couldn't match up to the book but that's because the book is, as a dear friend of mine once said, "the mayor of awesometown". But books and movies are inherently different media and therefore, changes HAVE to be made in order for an adaptation of a book to be successful or even make sense as a movie. And now you're probably like "Jeez, Emma, what's your problem?! Chill out!". But I will NOT chill out, Ang! I liked the 2005 Pride & Prejudice movie and I REFUSE to be ashamed of it! (Please don't judge me. NOT THAT I'D CARE OR ANYTHING! Just please don't). Wait, where was I going with this? Eh, it probably wasn't important...

    I remember being read this book too but I liked it so much that I bought it from the book store before we finished it in class and told the teacher I read it and she seemed annoyed. Sorry I took some initiative, lady. Golly!

    *Facepalm*

    Uhh..I totally know the title and artist for those lyrics...I just, uhm, don't feel like telling you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, I think I know that friend of yours because I swear I've heard that phrase in relation to this book before... weird.

    Uuuuuugh but ugggghhhhhh. I guess I should rewatch so I can try my best to give an unbiased account of it. But I will never ever EVER renege my feelings on the Maniac Magee movie. THAT was a horrible travesty.

    Hey! I used to read ahead in middle school and all my teachers hated me for it too! But my English teachers in middle school were all pretty terrible people so I just gave up after a while... on everything... Ugh, bad times. (Though I guess something had to balance out the awesomeness of the Chuckle Brothers and Heidi in the high school.)

    Hoping you would! : ) I love that song and I attribute 20% of the reason why I wanted to read the book to that song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly odd.

    I have never seen that movie nor have I read the book, so I can't actually give you a legitimate opinion on the matter. But I generally trust your judgment, so UGH! I know! That movie was soooo disappointing! It made me want to punch a kitten in the face.

    Wait, the Franz Ferdinand song or the cryptic song lyric for THIS post? Because I didn't recognize either of them. I was, uh, teasing, because I never recognize the lyrics and it makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GAH I KNOW. WAY TO CUT ARGUABLY THE MOST IMPORTANT AND TOUCHING PARTS OUT OF THE BOOK, NICKELODEON.

    The facepalming bit--I assumed it was a reaction to Franz Ferdinand's Ulysses. The song in which these cryptic song lyrics appear didn't even exist when I was in fourth grade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And the Franz Ferdinand ones DID exist when you were in the fourth grade? And what does being around in the fourth grade have to do with anything? See, Ang, you have to explain your logic to me step by step because, otherwise, a dummy like me has no clue what's going on...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, no they didn't either... And the fourth grade thing is because I said it made me want to read the book, but if the song didn't exist pre my reading it it couldn't possibly have inspired me to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I gotcha. Further proof of my stupidity, I guess, that I couldn't reason that out on my own.

    ReplyDelete