Friday, July 30, 2010

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Oh hey, what's up? Just reading some more Jane Austen, this time it's her very first book. Let's be frank: it's good, it's not as good as Pride and Prejudice, but when Mr Darcy isn't in it, is that really a huge surprise? No, but I really did like the book. Except for the parts where Mr Dashwood was involved, because I'd see the 'Mr' and the 'Da...' and immediately be like Fitzwilliam!?? Uh, (ahem). Let's see, let me summarize: There are two sisters, Elinor and Marianne, who are the main characters (You know how Pride and Prejudice is essentially 'Mr Darcy and Elizabeth'? Yeah) who fall in love and have heartbreak and weirdly parallel my senior year of high school. I guess the best description is that of Emma's: the inverse Pride and Prejudice. (Look, if all this mentioning of P&P is bothering you, just be glad that I haven't mentioned a certain Sebastian Melmoth at all yet for the first time in at least ten posts.)




Okay let's go then. First of all, this an Oxford edition, which means there are notes pertaining to Jane Austen's other books in the introduction and afterwards, because all the books were meant to be sold together in one collection. In this case, the introductory note closes on things changed between editions of Austen's books. For example, the change between the penny and twopenny post (pence?) and one sentence on page sixty-six of Mansfield Park that was deleted completely. My God, how interesting! So. Interested. Another thing about this being the Oxford edition, it means that when you take the jacket off it looks like a really well-preserved antique book. You know, like those Reader's Digests Condensed books that look like they're old leatherbounds in fantastic condition until you take a closer look and it's like I HATE YOU SO MUCH READER'S DIGEST GURGHHHH. Like that? Yeah. Hate that.

Due to economic problems early on, the sisters must leave their old home Norland to a cottage. Quoth Marianne (to Norland): "'Oh! happy house, could you know what I suffer in now viewing you from this spot, from whence perhaps I may view you no more!--And you, ye well-known trees!--but you will continue the same.--No leaf will decay because we are removed, nor any branch become motionless although we can observe you no longer!--No; you will continue the same; unconscious of the pleasure or the regret you occasion, and insensible of any change in those who walk under your shade!--But who will remain to enjoy you?'" (27). How Romantic of you! You know, Romanticism... All that love of nature, writings about men's mortality and lack of... effectiveness on nature... Maybe? Romanticism? Sounds like it could be, even though it might not be the right era for that sort of thing... Guys, I'm tired, okay? Also, kudos to Jane for using the word 'ye', even if it was more common back then.

Willoughby, a love interest of the book is first described as having "manly beauty" (43). Excuse me while I laugh my head off for about a million years...

"Marianne began now to perceive that the desperation which had seized her at sixteen and a half, of ever seeing a man who could satisfy her ideas of perfection, had been rash and unjustifiable" (49). This one seems... eh... a little bitter. Writing from experience, Jane? (Perhaps Sense and Sensibility was the story they should have chosen for Becoming Jane, eh, Emma?)

Willoughby... Oh, heck. I'm still mad at him, even if he partially redeems himself later on. Major spoilers following, then. Willoughby and Marianne appear to be tailor-made for each other. They're flirting, they spend all their time together... It's suspected that they're secretly engaged. Willoughby cuts a lock of hair... and also puts it in his pocket-book. Look, I know man-purses were socially acceptable back then, but that doesn't make it any less funny! Anyway, my spoiler is that Willoughby turns out to be a complete gufgggrgffffffghkfgh. Willoughby leaves for a few months and has an affair (which impregnates the poor girl involved) and when he and Marianne see each other at a ball, it turns out he's hitting up a young lady who gets 50,000 a year, because she had the g and Marianne did not. He also is very rude to Marianne, speaks to her maybe four lines and excuses himself to continue hitting on this young lady. Marianne, of course is heartbroken. Mr Darcy is horrified by Willoughby's ungentlemanly and completely disgusting behavior and is about to kick his ass.


Look at that angry scowl. He's going to beat the ever loving God out of you. Can't touch you because you're rich? I don't think so, Willoughby. I gave him permission. And you're even worse than Wickham was. You're done.

"'Shyness is only the effect of a sense of inferiority in some way or other'" (94).

"'Sir John is as stupid as the weather'" (111). Not only is that a great insult, Sir John is being insulted in such a manner because he doesn't have a billiard room. Sir John, watch out. You're tempting Fitzwilliam, now.

Nothing really important here, but Jane Austen uses the adjective 'monstrous' for practically everything. It's kind of hilarious, even if it wasn't intended to be. It's a great adjective.

"'A man who has nothing to do with his own time has no conscience in his intrusion on that of others'" (204).

Willoughby has a confession and semi-redeeming speech, directed toward Elinor with the request that she pass it along to Marianne. I won't go into details, but it builds a small amount of sympathy, since he pretty much realizes that sure, he got the dolla billz (poundz?) but his life is going to be miserable because his wife is pretty much a shrew. There's more, but that's probably the most important point. It made me feel bad enough to revoke my certificate to Mr Darcy to beat him up, at least. Lucky for Willoughby--I've seen that guy break jaws.

Willoughby also confesses to watching them leave their house all the time--"'You would be surprised to hear how often I watched you'" (326). Jane Austen's first and only horror novel?

"'If I could but know his heart, everything would become easy'" (347). Oh really? Perhaps you and I should buy some cats together, because clearly both of us are out of luck (oh wait except you're not).


Ummm. Sorry this is a little sparse. Like I said, I enjoyed the book. It wasn't her best, but it's her first. Give her some credit! Heck, I think even Emma would enjoy this. The ending is satisfying, moreso with Elinor, but things work out for Marianne too. And the villain gets his, too. Like I said, the lack of Fitzwilliam is a little disheartening, but since apparently I can summon him whenever I want to beat people up that's not such a problem. (Darcy--meet me in drawing room. Leave your cravat on.)


Fun fact regarding the book: Because of receipt left in the book for the last 40+ years, I know that this edition was bought in 1978 on the day before my birthday! Cool, huh? I thought it was cool. Don't judge me!


My attempt at MLA citation: Austen, Jane. Sense and Sensibilty. Great Britain: University Press, 1978. Print.


Answer to last post's cryptic song lyrics for Emma: Little Sister by Queens of the Stone Age

This post's cryptic song lyrics for Emma: Loving your illusion, staring at a crooked crown--You always let me down



PS. Always remember to act gentlemanly, or you're going to get your butt kicked by a certain British nobleman.


Don't think for a second this guy couldn't kill you. Look at that scowl. He's already mad that he's not allowed to beat up Willoughby. (Rule #6: No suit coat, no cravat.)

7 comments:

  1. Wait, it's her first book? I totally thought that was "Pride & Prejudice"! Wow, that Becoming Jane movie just effed everything up, didn't it?

    Ad you're right about the whole Romanticism thing. I think that's the poetry Marianne is obsessed with. They talk about Byron, right? And he's a Romantic, right? I don't know. Fuck poetry.

    Don't we always come across quotes in which something ridiculous is described as manly and it always makes us giggle. "Manly beauty", "manly chest", "manly tears upon his manly cheek".

    Austen is actually saying that Marianne is realizing that it was rash and unjustifiable to think she would never find the perfect man. Unlike Jane Austen who was all, "Pssh, hell no. I'm too awesome to ever marry you jerks. You guys just don't *get* me or my super awesome novels. So, Imma go buy some cats and die alone now. Jane Austizzle outta here."

    Seriously, it went exactly like that.

    And, in Becoming Jane, her sister has a love interest who is totally into her but then he dies all tragically. So...the whole sister thing still applies. Yeah? Right on. Besides, P&P has more parallels to her life, I guess. Like, her whole family situation with the poor farm family and siblings and stuff. None of this second marriage, evil half-brother crap. So the ovie could be all blunt like, "Hey, look how Prideful and Prejudicial her life was. OH HEY Maggie Smith! Did you really do this movie? You have a motherlovin' Oscar or three or whatever. You don't need this Dame Maggie!" Oh, wait, that last bit was all me. Oops. And yeah, I just used the word "prideful" because I honestly thought it was a word for a second there. Wow.

    Wait, does Willoughby have the affair AFTER meeting and flirting up Marianne?! In the miniseries, it's before he meets her. WHAT A JERKASAURUS!

    Woah, getting a little bitter there, Ang! One of these days, if you ever manage to find the time, we're going to watch period dramas like, I don't know, ALL EFFIN' DAY and you're going to tell me exactly why you're buying some cats with Marianne and how exactly this novel parallels your senior year. Deal?

    I can haz poundz and shillinz? Pweaz? LOLAustenHeroines.

    How exactly does Willoughby get "his" in the end? By being super unhappily married to a rich bitch? It's like Austen herself said, "A large income is the best recipe for happiness". It's on a gosh darn magnet, for goodness sake! (I realized I swore a bunch of times in this post and now I feel bad and am making up for it.)

    THAT IS COOL! Not even joking, that's really cool!

    Jane Austen fight club!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. And if that Becoming Jane movie were smart is would have been more likely to follow this book's story, since this great guy did turn out to suck! Which clearly the guy from the movie had in common, or why ever they couldn't marry.

    Yeah, I think she does. But wow, you hate Byron enough to drop an f bomb?? My, my!

    Yes... Yes we do. 'Manly' is just a hilarious adjective. It's so silly sounding!

    Then, of course, she was reborn forty some-odd years later as Oscar Wilde and got every man possible, because she realized what she had been missing out on.

    I'm pretty sure prideful is a real word, just... not in that context.

    Well, he has the affair that impregnates the girl before and they don't find out till later, but he gets in on a few other girls after having his thing with Marianne. That doesn't make him any less of a jerkasaurus though, and it doesn't make Fitzwilliam not want to kick his ass.

    Will do.

    "I haz good fortunez. I can haz wife now?" LolDarcies

    Yeah, because he has the money he wanted but he realizes love is more important than money and his wife is just a nasty shrew and he will never be content at home the way he would have been with Marianne. And, you better apologize! My Summon doesn't approve of such harsh language... (Please see figure A & B.)

    The first rule about Jane Austen fight club is don't talk about Jane Austen fight club! Gosh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, in the movie, they don't get married because he'll be disinherited by his uncle (?) if he does and he's all "Who cares? I love you! Let's be poor together! Yay!" and Jane's all "Hellz yes!" But then she finds out the money he gets from his uncle goes to support his mother and sister and Jane can't in good conscience, let him marry her and put his sister and mom in the poor house. So he's not really a jerk. He didn't knock anybody up, at least.

    Um, I hate poetry enough to drop the F bomb.

    She's was like "Day-um!" And then she actually got good at writing. If only she'd been less of a snob in her first life, she might've written a good novel!

    Yeah, the funny part was that my brain didn't even think to say "proud". That was just not an option.

    Okay, yeah, that's what I thought. And I know he's still a jerkasaurus and Fitzwilliam is fully entitled to kick his ass but I was going to say that it made it even worse if he was all, "Yeah, love you too, Marianne. But I gotta go impregnate some ho...I mean, VISIT MY AUNT IN LONDON AND NOT HAVE CASUAL SEX WITH ANYONE!" Like, him abandoning that girl was bad no matter when he did it but it's very slightly less terrible that he hadn't met Marianne yet when it happened. Savvy?

    SOON?!

    "I can haz monies? I can haz mad hoez!" LolWilloughbies.

    Yeah, well, you said ass before! How does your Summons feel about that, huh?!

    The second rule of Jane Austen fight club is that a single woman in possession of two fists must be in want of a good fight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, okay. Having not seen the movie and not caring enough to Wikipedia it, I was not aware of those details.

    Damn, girl!

    Wooooah girl! Don't be hating. Got enough hate from the Brits second time around!

    Oh, yeah, I guess so. Well, that's why I called Fitzwilliam off. Like I said, I've seen that guy break jaws. Noblemen jaws. BAM.

    If Shanksspeare on the green happens, I'll do it then! (Just remind me.)

    Uhm... (Crud. NO FITZWILLIAM DON'T DO IT.)

    Best thing EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, well I hope you don't mind that I spoiled it for you, considering I will force you to watch it with me so we can mock it together! My luck, you'll end up loving it :P

    No, I was hating on her first life, not her reincarnation as Oscar!

    Okay!

    Don't be silly! He'd never hit a lady. You'd just lose his respect, which, once lost, is lost forever. Or...whatever...

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, well, I did make you sit through Tuck Everlasting, so I guess it's only fair...

    Oh, okay then. We're g, then.

    Oh crap, forgot about that. But he said that and it only made him love Elizabeth more, so this could work for me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, Ang. You just keep telling yourself that :P

    ReplyDelete