Tuesday, November 17, 2009

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"

Ten guesses as to the book I just finished. No--not the comic book series of the first Kingdom Hearts. (Though I do own it...) It's Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad! And now that we have that lame Kingdom Hearts reference out of the way (the title) we can continue unheeded.

The book is based on Conrad's own travels up the Congo river, told in the form of the character Marlow. It's not up my alley. At all. I feel I should confess this before we move on. Maybe I didn't understand it (very possible) or what have you, but I just wasn't very interested. To be fair to Conrad, however, he is a very eloquent writer. He had very nice little statements and bits, it's just, the whole of the book didn't really capture my interest. Not my cup of tea. I'd say it's about a five or six, but Joey said he'd call it a nine or ten. Okay.

My favorite part came incredibly early in the beginning, probably only four or five pages in. In fact, there is no 'probably' about that statement. "'Now, when I was a little chap I had a passion for maps... At that time there were many blank spaces on the earth, and when I saw one that looked particularly inviting on the map (but they all look that) I would put my finger on it and say, 'When I grow up I will go there.'" Awww, it reminds me of myself when I was a tyke! Why? Well, I didn't do exactly that, but when I was a kid (until I was in about 4th grade, probably) I hadn't really ever taken a good, close look at a globe. I had only seen flattened maps. Since I had only ever seen all the world flat out in front of me like that (I was aware that the world was round, for the record) I didn't understand what the 'other side of the world' was. I thought there was some hidden, unmapped thing that was all jungles and full of mystery and adventures, and dinosaurs and Greeks and Egyptians that had preserved their ways. (I was always big into Greek history and culture and Egyptian mythology.) Imagine my disappointment when I studied a globe closely for the first time. Globes are the most depressing things in the world.

"It's queer how out of touch with truth women are. They live in a world of their own, and there has never been anything like it, and never can be. It is too beautiful altogether, and if they were to set it up it would go to pieces before the first sunset." If I had a nickel for every author I know that's commented on this fact... I'd have at least ten dollars. I don't mind, I think they're funny. (Wasn't there an episode of Fairly Odd Parents where they split the world into the guy half and the girl half?)

"I don't like work--no man does--but I like what is in the work--the chance to find yourself. Your own reality--for yourself, not for others--what no man can ever know. They can only see the mere show, and never can tell what it really means." Basically, your outward appearance and your actions can never translate as fully to another person's mind as they do to you. How you perceive life is hidden, even if you're a madman, and the picture of life you have can never really be told or understood by anyone else.

"I take it, no fool ever made a bargain for his soul with the devil; the fool is too much of a fool, or the devil too much of a devil--I don't know which." I'm still puzzling over this one a little bit. Assistant Emma, care to throw in your two cents?

"'Intimacy grows quickly out there,' I said." (IE, in the jungle--on the Congo.) There's something very sweet about this that I like. It seems to carry a little wistful nostalgia, and like Marlow had a soft look in the eyes. I don't know how to explain it. I guess all the meaningfulness in this rests with my imagery, which is my own reality that is what no man can ever know! Oooooh, high five me!

This copy of the book (stolen from my teacher) also has Conrad's story The Secret Sharer in it, which I liked by leaps and bounds more. Like, if Heart of Darkness was a six, The Secret Sharer was a nine. The ironic thing is, I have no little eloquent bits from The Secret Sharer to share (secretly). The thing the book I disliked lack made me love the other. Buuuuut. Let's see, it's about a new captain of a ship. While taking an on-deck stroll, he discovers a man in the water and takes him up and hides the man in his chambers. So... that's cool. I don't really have anything more to say, so I'll write you later! Now, I get read about the Romanovs...

11 comments:

  1. Ooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh! I LOVE "Heart of Darkness"! I had to write a paper on how it was an existentialist novel and I think you're quote about "your own reality" totally goes along with that.

    As for the other quote, I'd have to have more context. Like who said it, at what point in the novel, etc. And even then, I can't say I'd be much help.

    I find it funny that I loved all your quotes here but none of them were the ones I remember from the novel. Maybe that's just because I had such a narrow focus to reading it but whatever. Like the one about the kernel of truth or something...I don't know. I sound crazy now.

    Anyway, I'd try to defend "Heart of Darkness" as an awesome book but it's been like a year since I read it and the details are a bit fuzzy. I just like that this journey up the river becomes symbolic of this journey into the psyche. (A good visual for this is that episode of Magic School Bus where they go into Arnold's nose when he's sick...think about it. Makes total sense right?!) And any example people can use to be like "BOO! Racist book!" can be completely undone by another statement by Marlow.

    And those ladies in the travel office were creepy...just sitting there knitting...CREEPERS!

    Alright, I'm going to stop here and we can continue this conversation over thanksgiving break when I don't have to type and can use textual support :D

    I've never read The Secret Sharer...

    Hey, I love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too late, I gave it back to Robby D today... I guess we'll never know...

    Aw, it's okay. I'll buy you a nice hat!

    Oh my God, fave episode. I think by comparing it to the Magic School Bus you made me love this book. If only Marlow traveled in Arnold's nose as well... And as for it being racist, I wouldn't really say it was that bad... you know, in comparison to other books of that time and even into the late forties, HP LOVECRAFT. Oh, sorry, just slipped out. Whoopsies.

    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!! I cannot wait to see youuuuuuuu! And, funny story, I almost broke my dad's nose because of Pride and Prejudice. Intrigued?

    It was awesome. I'm assuming you read it in Robby D's class, and unless you had old copies, it was the first story in the book.

    Hey, love you too : D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, it can go in the "The World May Never Know" Museum with how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop...

    Yay! Haaaaaaaaatttttssssssss!! :)

    It's EVERYONE'S favorite episode! SO AWESOME! That would be an awesome book. We can start a whole new branch of the literary mash-ups genre! Mashing classic texts up with animated children's television shows! Hello, Dracula! Meet Invader Zim!

    Who is HP Lovecraft? And do they HAVE to be racist? Because that name is AWESOME!

    I cannot wait to see youuuuuuuu eeeeiiiither! And, yes, duh! Of course I'm intrigued!

    No, I didn't. It was in our books but we only read "Heart of Darkness".

    Yay! LOVE! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA! Oh, Mr. Owl!

    Yeah, that would be a trippy mash-up! Did I tell you I have to write a creative story for my lit class and I'm mashing Dracula with As I Lay Dying? Intrigued?

    You wouldn't think a guy named Lovecraft would be a horror writer...or a racist, for that matter. But you'd be wrong on both counts. And what about your grandfather?!

    Hahaha! Your poor dad! I thought you meant you guys had a fight over P&P! Now I'm slightly disappointed...but not that much. DON'T WORRY!

    No, I haven't even heard of it. So, I couldn't tell you if it'd be worth your time. Haha, expert opinion? Are you kidding? You don't really think of me as an expert, do you?

    Rawr! Less than a week til I see you!!! HEARTS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh, YES. You can read my NanoWrimo if I can read that!

    He had a black cat name N---y, which my mom and her cousin were just recently talking about and went oh my God... Do you think he meant it like...? I guess we just have to assume he was a little racist, but in all other accounts he was not disrespectful to black people at all, so I don't know.

    Well, we already argued about it--as in, "Dad, God help you if you don't have Santa get me the Colin Firth version. I'm super serious, here!"

    I think I might read it... the name is awesome. I'm pretty sure there's a satellite (I miss Firefox's automatic spellchecker) named Nostromo so that's cool. And I totally do, Ms. College English Valedictorian Robby D's favorite student!

    YAYAYAYAYYYY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, certainly. But you have to promise not to judge me too harshly because of it. I'm no Bram Stoker or William Faulkner, considering I bear no resemblance to a bear (that pun was an accident!) nor do I have a historically excellent mustache. Or any talent in the writing department. But, yeah, you can read it.

    Hahaha, you get so serious about Colin :)

    Firefox still automatically checks my spelling :P Haha, you mean, "one of Robby D's top 10 students LAST YEAR". Still, I appreciate you saying so :D

    LESS THAN 4 DAYS!!!!!!!! YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will help you with your moustache. I have read extensively on moustaches, and the care of cultivation of them. Czar Nicholas II had his own personal moustache-waxer who arrived at the palace every morning... fun fact...

    I do not approve of the other actor's face. It is most unfavorable!

    Mannn. I'm jealoussss.

    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha, no thanks! I'm cool being 'stache-less, thank you very much! And that is the epitome of a fun fact!

    Aw, be nice! He's got a lovely face! It's the haircut that wasn't working for him.

    You'd bettter be!

    THREE DAYS! OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's his not being Colin Firth thing that wasn't working for him...

    YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's quite the standard! How can anyone live up to that? I explained your reasoning to Julianna (a big fan of the non-Firth Darcy, in case you didn't know) and she was like "Well, maybe I don't like Colin Firth's face!", which was kinda rude considering Robby D was sitting RIGHT THERE! I mean, Colin's face is his face and his face is Colin's face. They may exist in different, yet simultaneous realities along the time-space continuum but they still have feelings!

    I GET TO EAT SOUP AT YOUR HOUSE TOMORROW! Or, considering that it's 2:34 (!) and I watched 2 episodes of Fringe and I'm completely wired, I'll call it tonight! WHEEEEEEE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOH! I bet it made him very sad to hear... : ( I bet his feelings are quite hurt now...

    YES YOU DID! Haha.

    ReplyDelete