Tuesday, November 10, 2009

God and death are none of my concern; I'm no philosopher

Woah! Apparently, blogger can now be accessed from school! So, maybe you will get updates from me in November... Like I said before, the reason why I'm really not writing is because of Nanowrimo, which I'm about 2,000 words behind on anyways. My story is confusing as hell and terrible, but that's beside the point. It's a free writing thing, 1500 words a day for a goal of I don't even know at the end of November. Somehow, someone weeds through all these and decides on one to be published, which is why I have hope for my awful story, because I read the one that was published a few years ago and wow! Ah... uh. How do I say this diplomatically? It was no Macbeth. It was no Hamlet. It was about a Romeo and Juliet. Maybe I'm garnering bad karma here, but dude. It was bleh.

Anyways, because I keep on forgetting to put my NanoWrimo on a hard drive I was just messing on the computer and here I am. Wishing I brought my Faustus book like I was planning to. However, I can complain about it without the book in hand. So, first off, the author, Christopher Marlowe, was the man of the time. After he was killed, Shakespeare was the coolest guy around, but Chris Marlowe was the main-er man. This book (play) of his is like the book of his. It's about Dr Faustus, an apparently accomplished doctor who decides within the first two pages suddenly that he wants to have the power to bring men from the dead. I hated Frankenstein, but Victor at least thought it out. Dr Faustus was just like, you know what I'm going to do today? Sell my soul to Satan. So the beginning was kind of sort of definitely rushed. (According to Wikipedia, Goethe's rewrite pins him as a man who wants more than earthly pleasures, IE, "earthly meat and drink." Which I think I prefer, gives him more of a back story, which Marlowe's chorus kind of failed at.)

One thing I can remember is Faustus demanding a wife from the demon he named his servant for his lifetime, Mephastophilis, and M. (you think I'm retyping that? Not in this lifetime.) summons a demon woman and Faustus says "Oh! What a hot a whore!" which made me practically die laughing. Just being honest... it was pretty hilarious.

What else can I remember off the top of my head? Faustus had an annoying personality, it was actually quite similar to Pip from Dicken's Great Expectations (bear with me on this). Pip started Dicken's book as a poor kid who wanted to be rich, then a rich kid who decided no, that wasn't so great so he made people's lives miserable, and I think somehow he became lower class again (though I've repressed it, so...) and then marries a girl who abused him as a little kid. Throughout all this, he wheedles and whines and whilst reading I often fantasized about hitting him over the head with a stovepipe. Basically, he was never happy, and he was a 'woe is me' fellow and nothing was ever great. Dr Faustus was basically the same--right after he trades his soul over to Satan he starts panicking (no sympathy, bro, it's not like you didn't know the end results) and regrets, but then somehow calms down again and goes to make everyone's lives miserable with his new demonic powers. Then he is going to die and cries that he's going to hell. It may seem a little mean that I'm calling him whiny, but seriously--he is warned a million times about this by M and even Lucifer, and even he's like oh eternal damnation! Crud! Aside from that, ugh. He and Pip have the kind of personalities I would kill someone for. Or maybe just punch them in the face.

Uh, what else? Later, Faustus sees Helen's summoned ghost (the Helen; Paris's Helen) and says the famous lines: "Was this the face that launch'd a thousand ships, and burnt the topless towers of Illium?" Which was awesome and may have been my favorite part just because I had no idea where those lines came from. I don't recall if they're said exactly in The Illiad (for example, they say she launched a thousand ships, but not exactly in this verse) unless if I missed it, but if not, it's kind of cool that this is where those famous lines came from. I love those lines, even if I can't figure out why Chris was so popular.

EDIT: An interesting scene is when M. talks about his life with Lucifer and how he came to fall into such state. (Faustus, the genius, asks M. where M. is damned. Uhhh, duhhhhh?) Even after wishing he could save M.'s soul (M. describes his fall in quite thorough detail, too) to give him thousands of souls (noble, and sweet), he still goes ahead with trading his soul over to Lucifer. Uh, what? Idiot. Speaking of Lucifer, Satan and Lucifer were trending topics on twitter today. Why...?

"'...Or as beautiful/As was bright Lucifer, before his fall.'" I never get this. Lucifer, before falling, was said to be beautiful--so beautiful his very skin glowed and sparkled as though from within (I'm paraphrasing from several sources) but obviously he's usually pictured as a red humanoid being with goat horns and goat legs and a tail. (I'm thinking it was inspired by Pan, a Greek god who was a bit of a trickster, loner, and kind of mean to humans.) I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS. I can imagine a subtle change, in the eyes or face, becoming cruel, hard, or narrow, but not such a dramatic change like this. There's no satisfying mythology regarding this (I don't really recall a thorough description of this change in Paradise Lost, just that his mindset had changed) and in church, I've noticed, they never seem to touch upon the darker things, here is a good example of an Episcopalian lesson: "Jesus was a good guy, and told many parables. One if his followers, Judas, was jealous and greedy and sold him out." Satan does appear on and off in the bible (I think the only time he physically appears in Jesus in the desert) but he's always... demonized. The stories we learn are always archetypes, like he was a wicked man, and then he was good. Jesus was always good. Moses was always good. (Until I saw The Prince of Egypt, I had no idea he beat an Egyptian man to death). Satan, always bad, never did he dream of anything more. (Accept my extremely biased opinions, thanks to John Milton). So, I think Lucifer's visage stayed just the same before and after. I mean, doesn't Satan come in a beautiful visage? Or something like that?

They make a reference to the tale of the hunter (I'm not spelling his name) and Diana--a hunter in the woods came across the goddess Diana bathing, and she became so enraged she splashed him with water and he turned into a doe and his own dogs turned upon him. Is it odd I like that one?

A servant calls someone "Sir Sauce-box". That probably was his job (or something like that) but. SAUCE-BOX. OH MY GOD. Shankspeare Sauce-Box??? Oh my God, yes. YES.

I know I'm just reiterating, but those lines about Helen are incredibly poetic. I'm keeping the book for those lines.

THE END.


What else have I read? I finished 1984, The Cartoon History of the Universe Volumes 1&2, and am currently in the midst of The Terrible Tudors and Slimy Stuarts (A Horrible Histories book!) and The Arabian Nights, which the publishers decided would be made better if they only collected ten out of the original 250+ stories from The Thousand and One Nights. (Whose idea was this!?)

In other news, I need a nap badly.

18 comments:

  1. Dude!!! I HATED FRANKENSTEIN TOO!!! That book was awful. Finally, something we agree on...even if it is something we agree to hate for all eternity. I always hated Christopher Marlowe, simply because of those jerks who were like "I bet he wrote all of Shakespeare's plays!" Um, no, he didn't. There was one guy, Shakespeare, and he was an effing genius and wrote some bully good plays, alright? Good.

    Also, just for your entertainment, I wrote "Shankspeare" before, by accident. If I ever join a roller derby team, that is SO my name! Or it can be my campy assassin codename! YEESSSS!

    I haven't read Great Expectations yet and I respect that you have different opinions on him than I do, as long as you don't write him off completely (as in, you will eventually read at least some of Little Dorrit one day), as I did not do to Jane Austen until I had read one whole novel and half of several others.

    Also, just fyi, if you haven't read it, Dracula is amazing so far. I mean, everybody knows vampire mythology now, so you're like 10 steps ahead of the characters and it's still wicked suspenseful. I feel like I'm reading it for fun.

    Arabian Nights? Is that the one with Scheherazade? Neat...And I too hate abridged versions of books.

    I think my tendency to threaten fictional characters with bodily harm has worn off on you...Sorry about that.

    In other news, so do I, but I'm pretty sure that's a chronic condition in college.

    Good luck with NaNoWriMo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, and the fact that Christopher Marlowe was killed by Colin Firth before the bulk of Shakespeare's plays were published...

    Oh. My. God. I'm legally changing my name to that. Or at least my URL.

    I will when I have for my time on my hands. I'm so busy right now I'm this close to coughing up blood and dropping dead. Truth? Well, I got the swine vaccine so maybe not... And I think all my dislike towards Dickens can mainly be blamed on Pip. As long as Dorritt isn't like Pip probably we'll be good.

    Ohohoho. Of COURSE I've read Dracula! : ) It is a good book, isn't it? You should watch the silent film Nosferatu when you're done with the book. (It's more true to the book than the Bela Lugosi version.)

    Ah, it's cool. I don't think it can be completely blamed on you, because during The Scarlet Letter often I thought about beating up whatsisbucket. The father of the baby who GAHHH I HATE HIM.

    Thank you : D

    ReplyDelete
  3. God, Colin! You really can't resist bending the laws of space and time, can you?

    Hahahahaha! So that's why Blogger was like "Blog not found" when I clicked on the link to your blog on my Dashboard. Makes SO much sense, now! And I wholeheartedly approve, so long as I can still use it as my campy assassin codename...

    Amy is not whiny. In fact, she never whines...about anything...even when she completely deserves to. You might find her to be a bit of a "wet noodle", to borrow your phrase. But, still, when you get a chance (i.e., when you're not dying of TB apparently), give it a chance. It's SOOOO good!

    It really is. Dr. Seward is my favorite :)

    Arthur Dimmesdale. And he was a dim bulb if there ever was one. Though, the name does also remind me of Fairly Oddparents...because they live in Dimmesdale...home of Doug Dimmadome...owner of the Dimmesdale Dimmadome! Sorry, couldn't resist! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colin is such a rapscallion!

    YES, of course you can!

    Out, damned TB, out! I think they made a cure for that... 100 years ago.

    I know! When we first started reading it I got all excited because I was like... THE Dimmesdale? THE Doug Dimmadome?

    And I realized I forgot to answer you: yes, the one with Scheherazade. Who did not actually have a thousand tales, as Robin Williams claims. Robin! Read a book once in a while! I was just thinking about how that would be an awful name, but then I realized he could just have people shorten it to 'Rob', so I guess it wouldn't be so bad. Robby W. IT WAS NECESSARY.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bahaha! "Rapscallion"!

    Sweeeeet!

    Wasn't TB the one that made everyone Edgar Allen Poe loved drop like flies? Or was that something else?

    And you were sadly disappointed. Though he does have that weird Superman moment at the end, where he reveals the badge of shame on his chest...still, it's no excuse for such a heinous book to exist!

    In the original she had a thousand tales....or was it just a few, spread out over a thousand nights? And yeah, it would be kind of suckish to have that name. What are we up to at this point? Robby D, Marky Mark, Big Mickey, Chucky D, Chucky P, Robby W...I feel like I'm missing someone!! Urgh...Oh, well...

    What was necessary?

    Did you know Oscar Wilde and Bram Stoker were friends? And possibly more than friends!?! Neat, huh?


    I LOVE YOU :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, but that was over 100 years ago! There were probably other plagues too. Like the "Incest to cousin whose age exceeds mine by 10-20 years."

    I think she should stop complaining. In England during that time, they branded a letter of shame right onto offenders' faces.

    250-300 is what the intro to my copy says. They were spread over 1,001 nights so she wouldn't get murdered by the Sultan because he was curious about the ending. Angey D? Emma M?

    To change his name to Robby W.

    WHAAT. Well, it makes sense, they're both Irish. (Oops, I think I was just a racist...) Dude. Let me look Brammy up. Ooh, he looks like a bear. He hasn't served Lord Alfred Douglas in the looks department, in any case... Douglas is pretty like a girl! Seriously, Wikipedia him.

    PS. I LOVE YOUI TOO, YOU CRAZY BEARCAT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't saying TB-inflicted relatives were his only problem...I was just putting it out there, okay?

    Yeah, that would certainly suck. The Brits are tough though! I watched this British TV show once about spies and the bad guys stuck this girl's face in a deep fryer! It was awful, in a really bad ass sort of way.

    Yes, I know the story. I just didn't know if they were different tales or one long continuous one for a thousand nights.

    Haha. I like Angey D! But Emma M, really?! You can do better. You just abbreviated my last name there! What a nickname!

    There was nothing proven or anything but it's just one of the rumors that's out there. And I know what you meant, and what you meant wasn't racist...I don't think. HE DOES LOOK LIKE A BEAR! I did, and you're right. He could be a model...you know, on the side of his lordly duties, of course.

    BEARCAT?! Whaaaat?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad our assassin English teachers aren't Brits... or teach British li--oh, wait, Big Mikey does. Oh God.

    Emmy M? M and M! I'll say it real fast so it sounds twice as cool. Or maybe just MM so Marky Mark won't confuse you with the star of 8 Mile.

    Lord by day, male stripper by night?

    It means 'fiesty lady' in 1920's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Big Mikey doesn't teach Brit Lit! Robby D does, though. Crap! Just stay away from deep fryers...and also electrical fences (another episode, don't ask).

    Yeah, that would certainly be awkward! "M and M, rap for me! But, be sure to use ELP in the context of the rap battle!" :P

    Yeeeesss! Just what the world needs!

    Hahahaha! Awesome! Where do you find this stuff out? I want to call you fun names from times gone by!

    I think you're the cat's pajamas! (1910/1920s)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, right, my bad. He teaches American lit. I don't think Robby D teaches Brit lit anymore, though... My first thought was that episode of Spongebob where Squidward gets an electric fence and accidentally electrocutes himself and turns nice. But I'm already so nice! Haha.

    Man, I wouldn't be able to do it on the spot like that. I don't know how your abilities are in that area, but I'm thinking we need to train hard in that area for a few years...

    Thus, the famous 19th-century song: "Forget about your betrothed, and meet me in my drawing room!"

    http://local.aaca.org/bntc/slang/slang.htm

    I think you're the berries!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Spongebob! I find it sad that every time someone becomes a fan of an obscure character from that show, I get it right away. And yes, you are very nice :)

    Well, I have been doing Improv, but then again my rhyming skills leave much to be desired. Train hard for a few years, huh? I see an intense workout montage coming on....*cues girl power hip hop anthem*

    Hahaha, is that a real song?! That's hilarious!

    Why thanks, sheba baby! I'm absolutely stuck on you, you swell bird! Love, your favorite fish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You mean on facebook? I'm a fan of the 'my leg' guy and Smitty werbenjemersfhdjdr--he was number one!

    YES! I love montages! Jenna and I have early nineties study night montages as often as possible!

    NO! I wish it was. It's a parody of that song that's ilke "Forget about your boyfriend and meet me in the hotel room".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Every time I see them, I'm like "Oh, from such-and-such episode!" and then I'm mad, because I'm a dork :(

    Early nineties study night montages? What exactly is that?!

    We should make it!!! LET'S DO IT!!!!!

    "Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets!" :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. When we play early 90's music and pretend we're kids studying for a test like they do on early 90's sitcoms. Which is pretty awesome!

    :DDD "Patrick, your genius is showing!" "WHERE?"

    ReplyDelete
  15. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!


    "Spongebob, I didn't want to tell you this but...that hat makes you look like a girl!"
    "Am I a pretty girl?!"
    "Er, well, sure, you're beautiful!"


    "OH MY GOD! A FLOATING SHOPPING LIST!"

    "Well, you know what the problem is? You've got it set to M for Minnie, when you need to have it set to W for Wumbo!"
    "Patrick, I don't think Wumbo is a word."
    "Of course it is! I wumbo, we wumbo, he she me wumbo, Wumboing, wumbology: the study of WUMBO! Come on, Spongebob, it's first grade!"

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahahahaha.
    "I should have named her Debbie."

    "He'll find love someday. With someone his own size. Like this pickle!"

    "You know what's funny? My pickle started out in a jar, and now it's back in a jar! It's like, a pun or something."

    ReplyDelete
  17. "She's so graceful and majestic! I should name her Grace or Majesty! Or Debbie!"

    "I'm Squidward. You're Squidward! WE'RE ALL SQUIDWARD!!"

    "Fancy living here we come!"

    "Square! The Shape of EVIL!"

    Meow.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So the other day, I was at CCE rehearsal and one kid started singing the FUN song. Everybody there started singing along, because they all knew the lyrics by heart. :D

    ReplyDelete