Saturday, February 27, 2010

It's only forever, not long at all.....

Today I am sharing my views of a very special, special book. No, it's not 'special' like a Psyduck (wouldn't that technically be a compliment?). It's special in that, so far as I know, it has not been mass-produced though I assume one day it will be, and so far as I know, I'm the only person other than the author's daughters and probably wife and maybe closest friends who have ever read this. Shwat? The book in question is a product of Nanowrimo, written by none other than Mark A Fabrizi, AKA Marky Marky. (Free plug! He owes me. No, I didn't mention his name so I could be one of those jerks who are all, 'I was into this before you were, so I'm better than you'... well, maybe.) Anyway, I can't say when the book will happen, if ever (though I doubt he would let it wither on the vine) but I think it's pretty cool that I would be part of the reviewing process and stuff. So we're finally bros, yes?

Anywayyyyy. The book is Rubykon. The title is the name of a magical world, which a girl tumbles into and has ADVENTURES, with an ending which I really wasn't expecting. The two sisters are named after Marky Mark's own children (as well as Juliana's guide to Rubykon, Woobie, who is named after a teddy bear that is Juliana's I believe) and the book is also dedicated to them, which proves he does have a heart after all. Anyway, being a fantasy book we can say that yes, there's a quest, there's a villain, and the world is at stake, or at least Saroolean. And, before I go on, what do you think that 'A' stands for? Antony? I hope it's Antony. You know, Mark Antony? Yeah? Yeah. (God, I am so funny. Sooooo funny.)

Anyway, when Juliana is new in Rubykon, Woobie (who lived there originally, but got lost in a portal to our world and ended up as Juliana's) tells Juliana she should see the emperor. Juliana asks of Woobie: "'Is he human like I am? Is he an animal, like a lion?'" (29). Ohhh, reference! I can dig it, Aslan.

Oh, and at another point Juliana is mocked for believing in dragons; she is told they're but fairy stories and she needs to "'focus on reality'" (74). I LOVE when fantasy novels do that, or whatever. You know, the main character's in some strange new world and they're like, "Oh when are we going to see (x)!" and they just get shot down. I feel like that happens in The Silver Chair, like either Eustace or Puddleglum shoot down something Jill says. Maybe. The point is, I chuckled most heartily.

"'Nothing is certain but the attempt'" (80). I am most enjoying of that saying, Marky Mark. Kudos. And then Sneblin (a character whom comes into Juliana's and Woobie's party shortly after their travels begin) is all, [my kind] may fail, but we always make the attempt. Whoop, there it is! The idea of Northern courage, perpetuated by JRR Tolkien and just recently taught to me by Marky Mark himself. The idea of it is to press on even when there's hardly any hope--to quit is the coward's action. Northern, because this was a belief firmly upheld by the Norse tribes--you see, if you died in battle fighting bravely, you'd be whisked off to Valhalla to wine and dine with the gods until Ragnarok. Ragnarok was the final battle, gods vs. the giants, where if you were human you were pretty much dead for a second time automatically. So, their whole lives were basically hopeless, as they'd be killed twice. Sooo. Yep.

"'Ignorance breeds confidence'" (83). Oh, that it does, that it does.

The city Juliana must go to is Saroolean as I'm sure you've gathered--its other name is 'the Blue City'. OHHHH. I laughed so hard when I realized that. Wasn't Cerulean Misty's town? Maybe? It would make sense, seeing as that was the water gym and all... Actually, while I'm thinking of it, was Lt. Surge really a Lieutenant at some point? I don't think he looked old enough to have been a lieutenant (though it has been a while). And why would they even have armies in Pokemon lands? It'd be all, oh, "I have an army of 5,000 men!" and I'd be all "Well, my Tyranitar knows earthquake, so...."

"Was that what life was like then? One traveled with others, learning a little about them, then moving on to new friends while the others became relegated to memories and pictures. Was this what great thinkers meant when they said we are truly [alone] in the world?" (126). Aw. That's minorly depressing. But it seems to ring at least partially true. Who knows? Not I, not yet.

Anyway. I loved the whole book, save for the very, very end. If you'd like me to spoil a book before you can even get your mitts on it, read on: Well, Juliana eventually has the chance to return home. But, she does not. Which is altogether not surprising--I mean, if you shipped me off to Narnia and expected me to return home--nah, it isn't happening. I wouldn't want to go back to my humdrum life. But I mean--her parents! Her friends! It says eventually their memories will fade (as they've forgotten they have another daughter, and Juliana even forgot about her sister) but stilllll. It just bothered me. I don't know...

But, I did enjoy the book, and I certainly would give it to a child, even my own, if they were into that sort of thing. They'd probably get it anyway. With me for a mother it would be genetically impossible for them not to be a fantasy dork. Sorry future child, it's encoded in my genes. Man. So. Look for this book sometime in the up to five year future, I'd nary. Then when you go back and comment on this, you'll be all, "Angela, you're right, that was awesome!" and I'll be all, "Yeah, but you're not a true fan, because I liked Marky Mark before you." Burn.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Marky Mark is awesome! But I can't believe you're going to get to mock me for all eternity for having read it first! What the hay!!

    And Saroolean? Oh, Marky Mark! You and your spelling stuff strangely to comic effect...you!

    I liked your Mark Antony joke! Thank God we have each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God someone got it! I've made it like three times and everyone's all 'Mark Antony'? Huuuh? And I'm all READ A BOOOOOOK. You think it'd be a good ida to spring it on him? Because I'm going to tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely. Throw caution to the wind! And, if anyone will get it, it'll be Marky Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete